Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thank you New York...You haven't seen the last of me!


Around noon today, the sun finally decided to make an appearance: its first since I got home two days ago. This will help with the New York withdrawal. The weather here in Vancouver is not generally nice at this time of year, but it's doubly hard to deal with after how beautiful it was for most of our time in NYC.

Sunshine or no sunshine, it's not easy to leave New York. Especially when it treated you as well as it did me and, I think, the rest of the Cranked crew. I can't speak for Rachael and Jason, but I know that my heart was heavy as I took off from LaGuardia on Monday afternoon. I caught a few beautiful shots of the sunset glinting off Manhattan and the Hudson, and then zoned in on my personal seatback TV screen to drown out the overwhelming desire to have the plane turned around.

Alright, alright, I'm being dramatic. What did you expect? Vancouver's not so bad. It's lovely to be here in my own apartment, sleeping in my own bed, walking down familiar streets and catching up with friends – reliving my favorite moments with them. And while our future destinations are less glamorous than New York, it's still a gift to be taking this powerful and meaningful show into communities that need it just as much as, if not more than, the big cities do.

I have so many wonderful memories from this trip. The brilliant theater, the fantastic food, the exciting nightlife... It has been an adventure. I have so much to be thankful for, and I owe it all to the people at Green Thumb who made it happen, and the people at the New Victory who made it all go so smoothly. Thank you to everyone at the Duke and the New Vic, from the technical staff to the folks in programming; from company management to the front of house staff and the ushers who sat through sound check every single day. Thank you to the education department and all the teaching artists who devoted so much time to making sure that the students who came to the show had the most enriching experience possible. (And a special thank you to Jonathan, Dumeuh and Ms. Robinson's 8th grade class at PS 187 in Washington Heights for letting me in on that experience!)

Yes, it was hard to leave. Yes, I wanted to stay, and yes, I will be back. But, and you can call me a musical theater nerd if you want, as New York's own Stephen Sondheim wrote, “If life were only moments, then you'd never know you had one.” So I'll go, and I'll take these moments with me. They're sure to help keep me warm through the long cold nights that await us on the rest of our tour.

Thank you New York, and everyone responsible for making my time there unforgettable. And I assure you, without a doubt [insert evil laugh]: You haven't seen the last of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment