Monday, April 27, 2009

World Premiere Inspired by the Words of Children

Noche Flamenca's appearance at The New Victory (through May 3), includes the world premiere of Camino, a piece inspired by literature written by refugee children. Camino reflects the strength, hope and love for life that is expressed in the poetry of these refugees as well as in the history and spirit of flamenco.

“My Dreams”
by Zainab, age 13, from Somalia
The poem was written at The Little Ilford School for refugees in 2001 during a workshop and is included the publication “Dreams, Struggles & Survivors – Poetry by Young Refugees”.

In my dreams,
I walk through the streets.
Everyone is asleep,
Including the alley cats.
The trees are fully grown,
The flowers
have bloomed.
But still there is something missing,
Is it peace,
Chatter,
Friendship,
Or happiness?
Every night I walk through
the streets
Trying to find my missing piece


No comments:

Post a Comment