Thursday, March 11, 2010

ON THE SPOT with Austin Tichenor

The gang's all here! Austin Tichenor winds up our three part interview series with the cast of THE COMPLETE WORKS OF WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE (abridged) [revised]. Read on to find out where he grew up, his favorite hobbies and which Shakespearean heroine he wants for his lady love! (photo courtesy of Reduced Shakespeare)

New Victory: Where did you grow up?
Austin Tichenor: I'm a fifth-generation San Franciscan but grew up across the Bay in Piedmont, California. Ever seen the high school bird-callers on Late Night with David Letterman? That's my high school.

NV: Most memorable theatrical experience as a spectator?
AT: The first time I saw performers actually in the audience, dressed as students in a college dorm production of Cabaret, stand up and sing "Tomorrow Belongs to Me." Gave me the chills, I tells ya, chills!

NV: Most memorable theatrical experience as a performer?
AT: Doing a show in high school when I had a 103 degree fever and no understudy. I had the chills, I tells ya, chills.

NV: Favorite local tradition?
AT: Theatre-going in Chicago. Chicago folk go to theatre the way the rest of the country goes to the movies.

NV: Favorite local food?
AT: Calexican burritos!

NV: When you travel, what do you miss most about home?
AT: My son and daughter and wife, in more or less equal amounts.

NV: Favorite local haunt?
AT: My backyard! It's the biggest room in my house

NV: Favorite saying or slang term?
AT: "Say what?" I also say "Bollocks!" when I'm frustrated - and in this country I almost get away with it.

NV: Favorite family activity?
AT: Improvising stories on car trips.

NV: If you weren't a performer, what would you want to do with your life?
AT: Be a cowboy.

NV: If you had to live the rest of your life as one of Shakespeare’s male leads, who would it be and why?
AT: Falstaff - a lover of life and language in epic quantities.

NV: If you could date one of Shakespeare’s female characters, who would it be and why?
AT: Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing. I got to love a woman with a sharp tongue and a ready wit.

UPDATE SEPT 2011: Austin and the rest of Reduced Shakespeare Company return to The New Victory Theater in October 2011 with new show The Complete World of Sports [abridged]

No comments:

Post a Comment