Tuesday, May 4, 2010

ON THE SPOT with Ara Malikian

The New Vic caught up with violin virtuoso Ara Malikian before this week’s opening of PaGAGnini! Read on to find out Ara’s favorite foods, slang, and which instrument Ara would be if he could! Hint: his answer should not come as a surprise…

New Victory: Where did you grow up?
Ara Malikian: I lived my first 15 years in Beirut, Lebanon, but 25 years later, I still feel that I am in the process of growing up.

NV: Most memorable theatrical experience as a spectator?
AM: The opera "Le Dialogue des Carmélites" by Francis Poulenc.

NV: Most memorable theatrical experience as a performer?a
AM: My performance of the 24 Caprices of Paganini.*

NV: Favorite local tradition?
AM: Watching the Mediterranean Sea for hours.

NV: Favorite local food?AM: My mum’s food!

NV: When you travel, what do you miss most about home?
AM: As I have dedicated my entire life to travelling, I have learned to feel at home wherever I go.

NV: Favorite local haunt?
AM: Any park around the world.

NV: Favorite saying or slang term?
AM: “Everything is fine.”

NV: Favorite family activity?AM: Laughing

NV: If you weren't an artist, what would you want to do with your life?
AM: Be Edward Scissorhands

NV: If you were an instrument, what instrument would you be and why?
AM: A violin. I can’t imagine being another instrument.


*New Vic Note: Paganini’s 24 Caprices are among the world’s most challenging and spectacular compositions for solo violinists, with the 24th Caprice perhaps the best known of the set. It is a series of variations on a short theme, and covers a wide expressive range in its short duration.

1 comment:

  1. The New Victory Theater presents adventurous, thought-provoking productions from around the world

    The New Victory Theater presents adventurous, thought-provoking productions from around the world

    ReplyDelete