Thursday, October 21, 2010

ON THE SPOT with Carol Triffle & Jerry Mouawad





Carol Triffle
Jerry Mouawad
Before the premiere of ZooZoo, we had the opportunity to talk with Jerry Mouawad and Carol TriffleImago Theatre's founders and  visionary artistic team. Read on to find out more about their childhoods and unique educations that led them to creating Imago.




New Victory: Where did you grow up?
Carol Triffle: Goshen, New York on to Southern California and then Portland, Oregon.
Jerry Mouawad: Roanoke, Virginia.


NV: Favorite hometown tradition?
CT: Swimming in a mud pie in New York, then the swimming pool in California and on to the rivers in Oregon.
JM: Chasing fireflies on summer nights.

NV: Favorite hometown food?
CT: As a child I oftened dreamed of chocolate cake and ice cream - and I still do.
JM: My grandmother's Sunday fried "chicking" (chicken!).

NV: Favorite hometown haunt?
CT: Playing with snapping turtles in the pond behind my parents' house.
JM:: The woods behind my father's grocery store.

NV: Favorite NYC haunt?
CT: Guggenheim Museum.
JM: The theatre video library at Lincoln Center.


NV: When you travel, what do you miss most about home?
CT: My cat, my bed and my garden.
JM: My kitchen.


NV: Favorite family activity?
CT: Dinner.
JM: Eating.


NV: Most memorable theatrical experience as a spectator?
CT: I'm easily impressed.
JM: Any clown performance by Geoff Hoyle.


NV: Most memorable theatrical experience as a performer?
CT: Jumping into a clear tank of water and have the audience watch me change into my costume. [She played Vickie Brown in Oh Lost Weekend, who is trapped in a 300-pound tank of water in her trial for treason for the impersonation of Queen Victoria].
JM: Performing at the National Theater in Taipei


NV: If you weren't a performer, what would you want to do with your life?
CT: I'm still thinking about that.
JM: Become a chef.

NV: Favorite saying or slang term?
CT: "Wow."
JM: "Always be opening." (As in a theatre's opening [night]. If I'm in rehearsal for a show, if I think I'm going to open [the show] the next day, it prepares me for the hard process I am about to endure.)


NV:Something interesting/unique others may not know about you?
CT: I write songs and scripted plays.
JM: I love puzzles and games of all sorts.


NV: What is your educational background? Training background?
CT: Graduate of L'ecole Internationale du Theatre de Jacques Lecoq.
JM: I studied theatre in college and high school. I graduated from a one year theatre school based on the teaching of Jacques Lecoq. The school was called The Hayes Marshall School of Theatre Arts.


NV: What is your cultural heritage?
CT: I'm a little of everything.
JM: I am second generation Lebanese-American. I think it has influenced me greatly. Perhaps because I grew up in a multi-language household I drifted toward non-verbal theatre.

NV: Which 3 people have influenced you the most?
CT: Jerry Mouawad, Jacques Lecoq and Alain Platel.
JM: Jacques Lecoq, Carol Triffle, Richard Foreman

NV: Why do you like performing at the New Vic?
CT: It is a dream come true for ZooZoo.
JM: It's the heartbeat of the art world.

Thanks for chatting with us! See ZooZoo on The New Victory stage through October 24th. What's it about? Watch the trailer here.

No comments:

Post a Comment