Monday, October 4, 2010

ON THE SPOT with Neal Goren!




Photo: Stephanie Berger
We caught up with Neal Goren, the dynamic artistic director and conductor of Gotham Chamber Opera. You'll be sure to see him in the orchestra pit for Puss in Boots! Here's what he has to say about working in New York and how his youth shaped his career.
New Victory: Where did you grow up?
Neal Goren: I have always been a New Yorker, though I was raised outside of Detroit.

NV: Favorite NYC haunt?
NG: Our glorious theaters, concert halls, and museums

NV: When you travel, what do you miss most about home?
NG: I used to miss New York’s ethnic diversity, though I am happily seeing more and more diversity everywhere I travel.

NV: Favorite family activity?
NG: My partner and I love traveling. And staying home.

NV: Most memorable theatrical experience as a spectator?
NG: My first opera (which was actually an operetta), at Interlochen Arts Camp, when I was 9.

NV: Most memorable theatrical experience as a performer?
NG: As a pianist, concerts with the great Leontyne Price. As a conductor, Gotham Chamber Opera performances.

NV: If you weren't a performer, what would you want to do with your life?
NG: I’d be a teacher full-time.

NV: Favorite saying or slang term?
NG: You make your own destiny.

NV: Something interesting/unique others may not know about you (hobby, life experience, etc.)
NG: I’m a cockeyed optimist, but that’s no secret.

NV: What is your educational background? Training background?
NG: I have been lucky enough to study with great musicians throughout the U.S. and Europe.

NV: Which 3 people have influenced you the most?
NG: My parents and my childhood piano teacher.

NV: Why do you like performing at the New Vic?
NG: The New Vic is the ideal venue for chamber opera. It is intimate, yet elegant, and has wonderful acoustics and sight lines.

Thanks, Neal! See this amazing conductor in action through October 10th for Puss in Boots!

No comments:

Post a Comment