Monday, November 29, 2010

ON THE SPOT with Eylon Nuphar




It's the week before opening for our holiday spectacular, MOMENTUM by Mayumana. First ON THE SPOT interview of the run with Eylon Nuphar, Mayumana's co-founder and artistic director. Momentum is Eylon's newest creation with Mayumana.

Photo: http://www.mayumana.com/
New Victory: Where did you grow up?
Eylon Nuphar: I was born in upstate New York but spent my first six years in Florida (Sarasota and Jacksonville), after which my family moved to Israel and lived in Kfar Saba.

NV: Favorite hometown tradition?
EN: The activity I remember most was a game we played anywhere in the neighborhood with sidewalks, where you had to bounce a soccer ball off the opposite sidewalk. It can be played by many kids at the same time. It's fun - we played for hours, until we heard our names called out of a window by one of our mothers.

NV: Favorite hometown food?
EN: My favorite "home town" food is old-fashioned Polish food which includes chicken soup, schnitzel (fried breaded chicken breast), chocolate mousse and local ice cream (mint or halva).

NV: Favorite hometown haunt?
EN: My sea-water swimming pool by the beach in Tel Aviv, at the Marina

NV: When you travel, what do you miss most about home?
EN: When I travel I miss the ocean near my home, my salty ocean-water swimming pool, the chicken soup in my favorite restaurant, Kiton, my fabulous bed in my very dark room, my very white apartment and of course, the only thing that really matters - my family and friends.

NV: Favorite NYC haunt?
EN: The Movement Salon on 17th and 3rd Ave. It's a movement, Pilates, Gyro studio run by very special people....you should visit the place.

NV: Favorite family activity?
EN: Favorite family activities would be: camping on the beach for a few days (up to ten days), sleeping in a tent, playing music together and star watching, cooking, telling jokes and the ocean. Also sleeping on the ground and picking on my sisters...

NV: Most memorable theatrical experience as a spectator?
EN: Well, when I was around 5 I lived in Sarasota where there is a circus. I remember going to a show and understanding [that] these people not only perform on stage [together], but really live together and practice all day. I immediately knew I wanted to be on stage myself.

NV: Most memorable theatrical experience as a director/performer?
EN: As a director, I remember the first shows of Mayumana. Directing and performing at the same time was crazy!

NV: If you weren't in theater, what would you want to do with your life?
EN: I guess I would be a film maker.

NV: Something interesting/unique others may not know about you?
EN: Something others might not know about me: I love animals, I love helping people, I'm big on health food, I like sleeping over at my parents' house. And I like standing on my head. Oh yes - and you can always make me laugh when I'm really angry and looking scary.

Press Photo for Momentum
 NV: Do you do anything else to earn a living?
EN: Nope. 100% Mayumana!

NV: What is your educational background? Training background?
EN: My never-ending education has been based on three things: talent, passion and practice. I am good at acquiring skills, so I have many by now. Fortunately, one of my talents is choosing good teachers!

NV: Favorite saying or slang term?
EN: I have two sayings I often use, they both sound much better in Hebrew. The translation goes like this: "Every occasion is a good reason for a party," and I mean EVERY occasion…because we should enjoy life.
The second is: "Life is not a picnic," which does clash with the first one, but it took me a while to understand things might not always come easily, sometimes we have to fight and sometimes we have to learn how to let go and life is just not a picnic. So we should definitely have a party, share time with friends and be silly.

NV: What is your cultural heritage? Has it influenced your work, and if so, how?
EN: Well, my mom is American, my father is Russian who spent most of his years in Israel. My family is a mix as well as most of the families I know in Israel, foods and traditions are so varied, as is art and music. Israel is a very young country and we are a huge melting pot.
We always speak English during rehearsals [because] we have people from Australia, Curacao, Brazil and Canada in our Israeli cast. So the European cast is even more varied. The world is a small place and us humans are all the same at the end of the day, especially when it comes to art and creativity. We love it [the melting pot]. Mix mix mix.

NV: Which 3 people have influenced you the most?
EN: My amazing talented creative crazy mom, who did everything I could only dream about. I had no idea how I would ever find my color [sic] besides her, but she helped me. My two co-founders are the men I love the most (not counting my father who is #1). Boaz and Roy made me a better person and believed in me as an artist, a partner and a human being - Thank you all.

NV: Why do you like performing at the New Vic?
EN: NYC is my favorite place on planet Earth, my heart is always divided in two, half of it is always in NY. I leave it with my dear friends and family, my favorite theaters and streets, Central Park and the birds, the village and my belly dance teacher. I am so happy to bring our show to The New Victory Theater; it's a great place and I'm excited to have the opportunity to share our work with families on Broadway!

Thanks, Eylon! Momentum runs at The New Victory from December 3-January 2. Watch the trailer here. Look out for Momentum Mondays on our Facebook wall. Stay tuned for more posts from the company's creatives and the cast in the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment