Wednesday, May 4, 2011

ON THE SPOT with Andy Packer



Checking in with Andy Packer, the director of The Tragical Life of Cheeseboy. Like Finegan, Andy has grown up in Australia and shares an Anglo-Irish background, but has also worked on a cattle farm! Read on! 

Andy Packer
New Victory: Where did you grow up?
Andy Packer: Adelaide

NV: Favorite hometown tradition?
AP: Going to the family’s bush block to sit around an open fire and stare at the stars

NV: Favorite hometown food?
AP: Pure Kangaroo Island Halloumi cooked on the Barbie [recipe here]

NV: Favorite hometown haunt?
AP: The Apothecary 1878 – Wine Bar

NV: Favorite NYC haunt?
AP: TBD….!

NV: When you travel, what do you miss most about home?
AP: My kids and my beautiful wife…making my own morning coffee…

NV: Favorite family activity?
AP: Heading to the beach in summer, cooking pizza together in our wood fire in winter.

NV: Most memorable theatrical experience as a spectator?
AP: Lots and lots to choose from but probably the Adelaide season of Jake Heggie’s Dead Man Walking 
[Fun fact: Jake Heggie was the composer, but the libretto was written by Terrence McNally, American playwright and a New 42 board member].

NV: Most memorable theatrical experience as a director/performer?
AP: Cheeseboy – it continues to delight me!

NV: If you weren't in theater, what would you want to do with your life?
AP: Cook!

NV: Favorite saying or slang term?
AP: “The Truth is in the details.”

NV: Something interesting/unique others may not know about you?
AP: When I was growing up I was lucky enough to live in the city but also have access to a family farm in the southeast of Australia. The property consisted of 2,500 acres of cattle farm and onions! I had my own motorbike and spent hours riding around lost in my own world.

Kids watching a show at The Come Out Festival!
NV: Do you do anything else to earn a living?
AP: I have also been lucky to work on a range of festivals, including recently being Creative Director of COME OUT Festival 2011 – Australia’s premiere festival of contemporary art and culture for children, young people and families.

NV: What is your educational background? Training background?
AP: I studied for a BA in Theatre Studies at the University of Adelaide – but I did not quite complete the course…I got too busy working in the industry!

NV: What is your cultural heritage? Has it influenced your work, and if so, how?
AP: Mmmm Scottish and English…nothing particularly interesting here I am afraid!

NV: Which 3 people have influenced you the most?
AP:  Robert Lepage, Gruppe 38 (not a person I know but I love their work so much!) and Jane Goldney – my wife, who has done more to encourage me than anyone else…she only has herself to blame!

NV: Why do you like performing at the New Vic?
AP: Anywhere that there is an appreciative audience is a great place to perform!

Thanks, Andy! Check out our ON THE SPOT interview with playwright Finegan here.

There is a Wait List for all Tragical Life of Cheeseboy shows.
Call the box office at 646-223-3010 to be place on a Wait List. You can choose a specific performance or receive a call anytime tickets are available.

VIP tickets are still available [at the time of this post] for Friends at the Manager level or above; please call Melissa Kalt at 646-223-3082 for full details.

Watch the trailer now!

No comments:

Post a Comment