Friday, April 19, 2013

Post-Party: A Word from the Family Benefit Co-Chairs

We sat down with the Family Benefit Co-Chairs, Sharon Coplan Hurowitz and Heather Georges, to discuss their favorite things about the New Vic and the annual Family Benefit that supports New Vic Education Programs. 

Sharon, how long have you been bringing your kids to the New Vic?

Our family has been coming to the New Vic for six years, and we just love all the productions! There are such an amazing variety of performing arts at the New Vic, from theater to dance to circus, and it’s all so good. I’ve never seen anything like The Intergalactic Nemesis
there’s always something new and surprising at the New Vic!

Why did you choose to co-chair the 12th annual New Vic Family Benefit?


Sharon: The New Vic Education Program brings over 33,000 kids to the theater for school-time performances, and brings arts education into our schools by sending wonderful professional Teaching Artists to classrooms in all 5 boroughs. Supporting that mission is so important to me, and that’s why I wanted to co-chair this special event! 



What did your kids think?


Sharon: I can’t believe I didn’t say that first! This is the most fun party in New York City all year. My kids had a blast!

Heather: Ditto! The food was amazing, the show was terrific and a great group of people came. There were so many activities and games for everyone
who knew tin foil could be so entertaining?!

Heather, what is your favorite thing about the New Vic?

Well, I haven’t been coming here quite as long as Sharon, but I have to say I’m just blown away by the smiling, helpful young people who work here as ushers. When I found out they are a part of this fantastic, one-of-a-kind job training and youth employment program that is completely subsidized by donations, I wanted to do everything I could to support itthe New Vic is an amazing place.



As a donor, what makes The New Victory unique?

Sharon: The New Victory Theater is one of the main reasons it’s so special to grow up in New York. I can’t imagine my kids’ childhood without ita beautiful theater all their own, the most impressive shows year after year, and truly life-changing arts education programs accessible to all New Yorkers. We are so lucky to have this place!

Heather: I second all of that. One of the primary reasons that I love the New Vic is that it makes theater accessible to all. The arts are so important to me, and making them available to children is even more important. Thanks to the New Vic, it is possible for everyone to have exposure to the performing arts.


We’d like to acknowledge Sharon and Heather for their incredible support, as well as thank everyone who participated in the Family Benefit. We’re already beginning to plan next year’s party!

No comments:

Post a Comment