Friday, December 6, 2013

Third Year Usher Spotlight: Jonathan Rodriguez

All season-long, we’ll be featuring young people from our Usher Corps program in our New Vic Bills and online on the New Victory Blog. This week, we’re thrilled to turn the spotlight onto third-year Usher Jonathan Rodriguez from Upper West Side, Manhattan.



Who or what inspires you? 
My mom, my dad and my family inspire me. 
They took care of me when I was a little kid, and when I turned 18, I decided to move to New York City to be involved in the film and music industry. My parents did not like my decision, but after a long talk, they gave me an ultimatum. They told me, “If you don't get into college, find a place to live, and find a job so you can pay rent and buy food within five months, you must come back here to Bolivia.” Well, I'm still in NYC! People thought that I wouldn’t get this far, but I'm glad to say that they were wrong.  It was hard, I have to confess, but I learned that perseverance and hard work will get me far. Sometimes it’s hard for me to keep in touch with my family, because of the different time zones. When I'm free, they are not at home or they are working. I miss them very much.

What’s your fondest childhood memory? 
There was one time that my dad bought me a Batman costume. I was so happy that I even went to school with the costume on. My teacher laughed at me and told my mom,  "Your son is born to be a hero!"

What is your favorite thing to do when you’re not at work?
I like to write songs in my free time -- alternative rock music. That's why I always carry my notebook with me.
 And also, play video games!

  
What are you most proud of?

I'm really proud that I'm independent and that I can take care of myself. On top of working as a New Victory usher, I finally got one of my dream jobs working in concerts and events as an Assistant of Staging and Lighting. I sometimes set up audio for concerts around New York and work events such as the US Open and Fashion Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment