Friday, February 7, 2014

Third Year Usher Spotlight: Antonio Rodriguez

All season-long, we’ll be featuring young people from our Usher Corps program in our New Vic Bills and online on the New Victory Blog. This week, we’re thrilled to turn the spotlight onto third-year Usher Antonio Rodriguez of Lower East Side, Manhattan. 

What's your fondest or earliest childhood memory?
My fondest memory is one of my first "heart-to-hearts" with my dad. I was five and I told him I wanted to be like him. He smiled and responded, "I want you to be better than me." I cherished this moment because I always saw my dad as a superhero, and I did not know how to become better than a superhero.

What is/was your favorite subject in school?
I have always be fond of sciences such as Marine Biology, but English and Writing are up there with Science.

How would you describe your personal style?
I have been told I'm preppy and dress well, but I like whatever is comfortable. I'll wear the occasional bowtie if it’s a good day.

What's your favorite NYC hangout or neighborhood?
There's no place like home, but I really enjoy going to Central Park and playing in the open fields and running around.

What's your favorite place to eat or grab food near the theater?
I love eating at Schnippers. Whenever I have a craving for a good burger and fries that’s the place to go.

What's your secret skill or hidden talent?
I am very good cook and not many people believe me when I tell them or show them pictures of what I make. I love making new things from different places, like Chicken Cordon Bleu, Sancocho and different Asian Cuisines.

What's your favorite song right now?
I love jamming to "You Make Me" by Avicii. The upbeat tempo gets me going when I need to get somewhere fast.

What is one thing in life you are most proud of? 
I am most proud of being a role model to my sisters and my kids at the after school program where I work. I always felt it was important to have that one person to look up to, but I never saw myself to be such a person for other people. I always pictured successful or famous people as role models. Whenever a little kid or teenager tells me that they look up to me, I know I am doing something good with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment