Thursday, May 8, 2014

Third Year Usher Spotlight: Brandon Hutchinson

All season-long, we’ll be featuring young people from our Usher Corps program in our New Vic Bills and online on the New Victory Blog. This week, we’re thrilled to turn the spotlight onto third-year Usher Brandon Hutchinson of Brooklyn, NY.

What's your fondest or earliest childhood memory?
My fondest memory as a kid was being around my cousins because we all used to hang out and get into trouble together. We share the same interests and tell each other everything. We were each other's safe place.

How would you describe your personal style?
I would describe my personal style as "real-lifeness." Whatever I see in my head in the morning is what I wear and hope it looks good. I never really have enough time to plan outfits.

What's your favorite thing to do when you're not at work?
My favorite thing to do when I'm not at work is walk around Central Park and just clear my head. I like to get my thoughts together and reflect on things.

What's the most challenging thing about being an usher?
The most challenging thing about being and usher is knowing when to ask for help. I think we all try to be "super usher" and do it all. It is also challenging knowing that we only have 3 years before we graduate from the New 42 Youth Corps. Trying to get everything out of the program and enjoy all the benefits means a packed schedule!

What's your favorite place to eat or grab food near the theater?
My favorite place to get food is either the dollar pizza spot on 42nd Street between 9th and 10th Avenues or any Starbucks in the area.

What's your secret skill of hidden talent?
I think my hidden talent is that I write poetry that I think is really good. I love public speaking. I really enjoy giving speeches.

What's your dream vacation?
My dream vacation is to spend a week in Brazil during carnival or Trinidad and Tobago during carnival.

If you could go to lunch with anyone, living or dead, who would it be and why?
I would go to lunch with Amy Winehouse. I think she was a very misunderstood artist and, before she died, I listened to all her music and could really identify with most of her songs. I would want to know what she wanted people to think of her and to tell her how much her music helped me through a lot of hard times in my life.

What are you most proud of?
I am most proud of my younger brother Bryan. He is 3 years younger than me and seeing him grow and learn through trial and error is a great experience. He knows what he wants to do in life and is taking advantage of a lot of opportunities given to him. It makes me happy to know that I don't have to worry too much about him, because he's smart and knows that if he ever needs anything, I will always be here to help him.

No comments:

Post a Comment