Friday, September 26, 2014

Third Year Usher Spotlight: Emmanuel Delgado

All season long, we’ll be featuring young people from our Usher Corps program in our New Vic Bills and online on the New Victory Blog. This week, we’re thrilled to turn the spotlight onto third-year Usher Emmanuel (Manny) Delgado from the Bronx, NY!

Who or what inspires you?
My parents inspire me every single day. They're both hardworking people who put their best into everything that they do. They've never stopped supporting my brothers and me. Most importantly, they always talk about the importance of education and remind me to never stop working hard for what I want.

What is your secret talent?
I'm not sure if it's much of a secret, but I love to play the guitar. I love rock music. My current favorite songs are "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin and "Dream On" by Aerosmith.

What is your fondest childhood memory?
My fondest childhood memory was when I was about 5 and in the car with my family. It was late in the afternoon. My parents were exhausted and driving me and my little brother home. We looked out the window and saw a huge amusement park for the first time in our lives. We begged our parents to go inside and couldn't believe it when they said yes. After playing a few games and riding a horse, we decided to end the night with the Ferris wheel. It took us straight to the top and stopped. My entire family just smiled and enjoyed the view. I remember thinking that I could see the whole world that night.

How would you describe your personal style?
I don't know if there's an actual name for my personal style, but I think that the best way to describe it would be "casual friendly geek." I always try to be as approachable as possible and anyone who talks to me will immediately realize how much of a dork I am. I'm not afraid to be silly and reference all kinds of movies, comics, and video games. My clothes are pretty simple, although I do have a fondness for my leather jacket (which makes me look like a greaser) and my suit (which I wear on random days because I don't have enough occasions to put it on).

What's the most challenging part of being an usher?
For me the most challenging part of being an usher is remaining calm when things get really busy and remembering that you're part of a team. It can be easy to get nervous when hundreds of people are moving around and you have to maintain order, but I learned how important it is to take a deep breath and relax. I also learned to trust my peers with sharing the responsibilities so everything flows smoothly.

What's your favorite place to eat or grab food near the theater?
My favorite place to eat near the theater is Lucky Star Cafe because it's so hard to find real breakfast food in Times Square.

What are you most proud of?
I'm most proud of finishing high school and being the first in my family to get a college education. I do this all for them and wouldn't be where I am or who I am without them.

1 comment: