Friday, October 31, 2014

Third Year Usher Spotlight: Kseniya Kosmina

All season long, we’ll be featuring young people from our Usher Corps program in our New Vic Bills and online on the New Victory Blog. This week, we’re thrilled to turn the spotlight onto third-year Usher Kseniya Kosmina from Brooklyn, NY!

Kseniya is all about hard work and self-improvement. There isn't a second in her day where she isn't learning new things or advancing her skills. She recently got accepted to Provost Honors Program at Baruch after a grueling application process. This only shows the positive outcome of her "never give up" attitude!  Read more about her and learn a bit about her life journey below.

What was your favorite book or movie as a kid?
I can't pick only one book, but some of my favorite works are The Blue Bird by Maurice Maeterlinck and Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift. In both stories, protagonists have incredible adventures in magical worlds. Their transformative journeys test their courage and point them towards the most important things in life.

What is/was your favorite subject in school?
I've always enjoyed writing and languages. I like writing because it allows me to express myself freely and get my ideas out exactly the way I want. Currently, I am learning a fourth language and plan to learn at least one more because I love the ability to think and communicate in different languages. Each one is unique and has so much to offer.

What's your favorite thing to do when you're not at work?
I love writing, drawing, and playing guitar. All of those things tie in together because they allow me to rest and unwind by expressing my ideas in different forms. Often times, I can envision and fulfill an idea in writing, as a drawing and through music.

What's the most challenging thing about being an usher?
Sometimes it is easy to forget that you don’t have to take care of everything right this moment. It's important to remember that you always have a team to help and back you up.

If you could go to lunch with anyone, living or dead, who would it be and why?
I would like to talk with Sydney Sheldon, a writer, producer, and director that I love. He gave the world a record amount of books, movies, songs, shows, and plays. His unprecedented talent in creating a plot that can capture anyone from the pages of a book or scenes in a movie is something that amazes me. Plus, some of his works are set in the Ukraine. I emigrated to Brooklyn from the Ukraine eight years ago and his work makes me proud to be Ukrainian.

What are you most proud of?
I am most proud of my family. My grandparents taught me what courage and dedication means and my parents continue to display great fortitude and optimism that amazes me more as years pass. My small, but talented family inspires me in almost everything I do. They motivate and support me to do my best in every way.

No comments:

Post a Comment