Friday, November 14, 2014

Third Year Usher Spotlight: Camille Connor

All season long, we’ll be featuring young people from our Usher Corps program in our New Vic Bills and online on the New Victory Blog. Earlier this week, the New Victory Usher Corps program won 2014 National Arts and Humanities Youth Program Award, so we're thrilled to tell you more about this fantastic group of hardworking young people! Read more about the award here, learn more about the New Victory Usher Corps on our website, or find out how the young people in your life can apply to the award-winning program!

By Siobhan Santini

This week, we turn the spotlight onto third-year Usher Camille Connor from Brooklyn, NY! Camille is one of our ushers who takes the phrase "loves to works with kids" to a whole new level. Since she started with us, she has always spoke of her aspiration to open her own daycare. Family Workshops and Kids Week are her specialties. Our younger returning patrons constantly run up to Camille at shows, after remembering her from previous New Victory activities or performances. Read more about our third-year usher with the big, bright smile below.

Who or what inspires you?
My mom is my inspiration. If it wasn't for my mother, I wouldn't be the person that I am today-- an independent woman. After my mom passed away, I had to realize what I had to do for myself as an individual and that made me so much stronger. My mom prepared me for the real world.

What is your favorite book or movie?
My favorite movie is Crooklyn by Spike Lee. When I watch that movie, I feel a connection to the little girl, Troy, who grew up in a house full of boys. In the movie, after her birthday, she finds out that her mom has cancer and her mother passes away from the illness. That same situation happened to me, so I find comfort in the film.

What is your earliest childhood memory?
My earliest childhood memory is playing double dutch with my friends. Around that time, all we had was old cable cord and when we got bored we would go outside in front of the building and play jump rope.

What is/was your favorite subject in school?
My favorite subject is Math because it comes naturally to me. When I see a math problem, I feel like I immediately know the answer. It's helpful being good at math, because I work for after-school programs with children and they always need help with Math!

What's your dream vacation?
My dream vacation would be to go to Hawaii because I want to go somewhere that's far away. And I just want to have a calm vacation. No stress, no worries....

What are you most proud of?
I am most proud of myself because after everything I’ve been through with family and friends, to be honest, I would have never thought I could make it this far in life. I have confidence in myself.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. This post is very informative and helpful for us.
    quotes about jealousy

    ReplyDelete